Suffering from the culinary monotony of student life?
There are a bunch of shops in Karlsruhe where you can find all the ingredients you might need to cook your favourite dish from home or to finally try out that exotic new recipe you have been saving on your social media account for months. Here’s a pinch of international shops that will help you bring some spice and the taste of multiculturality into your kitchen!
If you are looking for typically African or Indian products check out:
- Indien Basar & Afro Supermarkt DKG – Zähringerstraße 49, 76133 Karlsruhe
More Indian foods you will also be able to find here:
- INDIAN STORE – Zähringerstraße 47, 76133 Karlsruhe
- WORLDFOOD – Indian Grocery Store – Scheffelstraße 9, 76135 Karlsruhe
If you need special ingredients for a Japanese, Chinese, Thai or other East Asian dish, some shops to consider would be:
- Anusan Asia Center – Ebertstraße 6, 76137 Karlsruhe
- Lang Asiashop – Ebertstraße 44, 76137 Karlsruhe
- XIONG DI Asia Supermarket – Fritz-Erler-Straße 1-3, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Asia Store – Markgrafenstraße 27, 76131 Karlsruhe and Sophienstraße 59A, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Go Asia Supermarkt – Kaiserstraße 235-237, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Jinlefu asiatischer Supermarkt – Yorckstraße 25, 76185 Karlsruhe
For Arabic, Turkish and Middle East products check out:
- Sindbad Food – Adlerstraße 36, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Ali Baba Orientalische Lebensmittel – Bürgerstraße 7E, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Rahman Sarac – Hebelstraße 13, 76133 Karlsruhe
- ÜMIT SUPERMARKT – Sophienstraße 57, 76133 Karlsruhe and Amalienstraße 63, 76133 Karlsruhe
- Hanin AlCham – Schillerstraße 2, 76135 Karlsruhe
- SERPA MARKT – Wolfartsweierer Str. 1, 76131 Karlsruhe
- INCI Minimarkt – Sternbergstraße 7, 76131 Karlsruhe
To find Spanish and Portuguese products go to:
- Comestibles España– Luisenstr. 6, 76137 Karlsruhe
If you want to try out Italian delicacies you can check out:
- LA BOTTEGA DI MORETTO – Karlstraße 120, 76137 Karlsruhe
Typically Russian and Eastern European products can be found in:
- KLIVER– New-York-Straße 1, 76149 Karlsruhe
- KLIVER CITY PARK – Luise-Riegger-Straße 9-11, 76137 Karlsruhe
- MIX MARKT – Otto-Wels-Straße 29, 76189 Karlsruhe
Not to forget, inside Scheck-In you can find a shelve dedicated to a variety of international products:
- Scheck-in Center Karlsruhe – Rüppurrer Str. 1, 76137 Karlsruhe
And lastly, an honourable mention:
The supermarkets Aldi, Lidl and Penny often do a so-called American, Asian, French, Greek, Mexican or Spanish week where they offer typical products from the respective regions.
Enjoy the international grocery shopping tour!
By Amina Aoun *AA – International Relations, 5th semester
*Karlshochschule is an educational institution and a non-profit organization as well. We want to encourage individuals and young people to take responsibility, find their own voice and initiate change in a sustainable and tolerant way. Listening to different opinions not only promotes different perspectives, but also discourse. The content of this blog is characterized by the diverse experience and opinions of the authors, which may not be the majority opinion of the university, but provokes reflection and discussion.